Cyberpunk Chess

Hello once again fellas. Today is the day where we die because of forgetting to save your hour of work.

I'm pretty much writing this after making the King Piece (and the accident) below so I'm a bit angry and sad.

Demonic and Cyberpunk
Mouse, Bottles, Milk, and Polygons
 ANYWAYS, I have embarked on the journey to make some cool chess piece that I will just look at with awe and not use them because I don't play chess.

Got a couple of ideas and themes with how I wanted the chess piece to be and we got a couple of nice and cool sketches in my opinion. I've also had the chance to get some feedback from peers and the majority told me the Demonic and Cyberpunk were my strongest ideas out of the bunch. I also remember from the critique dates was that everyone really liked the Milk idea because it's cute. 


I eventually settled with the Cyberpunk idea as everyone were very interested on seeing it as an actual object. However, during the critiques, I had a couple of people pointing out how overhangs will work with the Cyberpunk design, so I had to immediately come up with ideas to overcome this fatal flaw with my designs. Thankfully, I was given a major advice to print parts separately for the pieces! Now it's just a matter of adding said idea while 3d modelling.

Setting up height and width limits for each piece
Ver. 1 King Piece (Definitely will be revised because progress on it is gone.)
And here's an early 3d version of the King piece. Now, I realize a couple of things when I was making this. One, I can just print it upright (I had the idea to print it upside down to counter the problem of the tentacles) by creating a flat surface at the bottom of this piece, and not have to worry about destroying the much more important details on the piece. Second, that I should maybe revise the head part to accommodate smoother edges and not have to manually fillet angles. Although, by using dupedge, it creates a better time for me since I need to do surface design as well.

OMFG. I accidentally pressed "no" on the saving window for the king piece! 
I AM BEYOND MAD.

With that being said, I feel a bit better knowing that I needed to redo the whole thing anyways. While I am happy with it, there are still things I need to reconsider.

I'm updating this Monday when I actually have the unexpected ver. 2 of the King Piece. I now at least know what to expect trying to model like this. 

UPDATE:
 I managed to redo the King, and this one just need some design finalization:

Ver. 2 King Piece

I added the the legs that is printed separately to to not have a brain damage designing this thing. As you can also see, it's definitely different than the first version.

I don't know what else to say other than I just need to make the slices to prep for 3D printing. I also realized I need to add more design to show this as the King Piece. I'll definitely continue adding more.

Comments

Popular Posts